Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 06:24:39 +0200
From:      "Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen" <ncbp@bank-pedersen.dk>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 12:01:59AM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:43:58PM +0200, Niels Chr. Bank-Pedersen wrote:
> > On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:21:51PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > > Does vinum list saying that one subdisk of your R5 volume is down?
> >
> > 5 subdisks:
> > S raid5.p0.s0           State: up	PO:        0  B Size:       4133 MB
> > S raid5.p0.s1           State: up	PO:      768 kB Size:       4133 MB
> > S raid5.p0.s2           State: up	PO:     1536 kB Size:       4133 MB
> > S raid5.p0.s3           State: up	PO:     2304 kB Size:       4133 MB
> > S raid5.p0.s4           State: up	PO:     3072 kB Size:       4133 MB
> >
> >  - But since my first attempt to initialize the plex crashed the
> > box while only da5se1 was missing, I did a "verify media" from
> > the SCSI ctrl. BIOS, and did find errors. They were all successfully
> > remapped, though.
>
> I thought about a parity corrpution bug that there was in history.
> But as all drives are up and they are freshly initialized there are 2
> arguments why your problems should be different.
> Maybe one drive crashed and the system paniced before vinum was able to update
> the state database on the drives.
> Did you saw anything unusual on the console before the panic message?

It seems to be a hardware problem with da5.  After the latest
crash, I had the following in dmesg:

 (da5:ahc4:0:2:0): SYNCHRONIZE CACHE. CDB: 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
 (da5:ahc4:0:2:0): NO SENSE

 - after obliterating the vinum configuration I created the volume
without da5, and I have now successfully copied 250+MB to the filesystem.

I would have thought that hardware errors like this could be handled
in a slightly more controlled manner, though.

> B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de

Once again, thanks for your time.

/Niels Chr.

--
 Niels Christian Bank-Pedersen, NCB1-RIPE.
 Network Manager, Tele Danmark NET, IP-section.

 "Hey, are any of you guys out there actually *using* RFC 2549?"