Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 2002 16:14:24 +0900
From:      Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        dsyphers@uchicago.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make package

dsyphers> I would like to make packages of several ports which I
dsyphers> already have installed. Unfortunately, it seems 'make
dsyphers> package' wants to install the package too (and dies if it
dsyphers> can't). Why?

You cannot make a package without installing, since you can't know (or
too hard to know) which file to be included to a package is a file
under the build directory.

That's why "make package" requires "make install".

dsyphers> Is there something I can do to have it _just_ make the
dsyphers> packages?

No.  If you want to prevent existing environment from making a
package, you may want to make a sandbox for package build.

-- -
Makoto `MAR' Matsushita