Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:02:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mark@quickweb.com (Mark Mayo)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c810 -> Where can I get them now?

> I just asked a local shop for an NCR 53c810 SCSI controller to replace a
> friend's IDE crap. The shop got back to me and informed me that NCR had
> been bought out by Symbios Logic, who were in turn bought out by AT&T
> (which I was aware of) and he couldn't find anyone to sell him this
> controller!!
>
> Anyone know of any other manufacturers (Kingston or someone perhaps) that
> used the NCR chipset and have an on board bios so my friend can boot of a
> scsi drive? Or do I have to go Adaptec 2940....

You might wish to check to see if the MB already has support for the NCR
built in...  many do even though they do not advertise it.  I think most
MB's with Award BIOS'es tend to support it, from what I have seen and/or
heard.

If so, all you need is something like an ASUS SC-200 (highly recommended,
they work GREAT!)...  Rod Grimes at Accurate Automation, Inc. sells them
for about $75.00.

Some boards can also be "upgraded" to support the NCR in the on-board BIOS,
I am thinking particularly of the Intel Endeavour boards.

(The real solution is just to buy a decent MB which supports them in the
first place, I have become convinced time and time again that ASUS is a
good mfr of motherboards).

... JG