Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:42:35 -0600 (CST)
To:        Michael Craig Davidson <mcdavids@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin.cc

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Michael Craig Davidson wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Ryan Thompson wrote
> > Do you mean to say that you get a write error when writing bin.cc to the
> > floppy, or you get a write error when sysinstall is installing bin.cc?
> >
> > If it is the former, try a different disk (or remove the write protection
> > and try try again :-)  Disks have a tendency to wear out over time, and
> > you may have found a bad one.
> >
> > If you are referring to the latter (i.e., the files appeared to copy fine
> > to disks but you can't install from the boot floppy), check the integrity
> > of your hard disk on your laptop, and ensure that you have enough free
> > space to complete the install.
>
> I mean that when sysinstall is copying the file from my floppy.  I can
> copy the file to the disk no problem, also I have a 325 MB hard disk
> on the laptop and I am using the whole thing for the install, that is why
> I am baffled.

When you went through fdisk, and the label editor, how much space did you
allocate to the root (/) slice?  All 325 MB?  I hope you also left some
room for swap!  Did you split your drive into multiple slices?  (/, /var,
/usr, for example?  If you did, perhaps you are running out of space on /
or /usr when installing the binary distribution).

Though I normally recommend otherwise, since the drive is so small, why
not do the following:

293M 	/
32M 	swap

As megabytes count in your case, using a single / slice ensures you will
get the maximum amount of free space.  You may want to adjust the swap
accordingly to the amount of memory you have.  (I'm assuming you don't
have very much).

If you get another write error during the install, switch to ttyv4
(Alt-F3) and see if you've run out of room, or if there are any other
interesting error messages on the other vty's (ttyv1 for instance)

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2