Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 15:25:33 GMT
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1 hangs

I'm still having some trouble getting an upgrade finished
from 2.2.5 to 3.1.

First gotcha was that the old boot loader does not recognize
the new (ELF) kernel format and always says: wrong format! or something
when trying to load the kernel.

Writiung the new bootloader should be included as an option in the
upgrade procedure.

My system is a 486 DX2/66 in this case with 32MB Ram and a VLB Eide
controller.

I was able to boot the 3.1 release generic kernel but
after linking a new kernel (adding ccd support since I have a
ccd device) and overcoming the missing atkbd, vga and some third
device that escapes me for the moment I was able to build the kernel.

lptattach() was flagged as being passed wrong number of argumwnts. btw.
(maybe it's deprecated anyway, but I'm just mentioning).

But trying to boot the kernel in single user mode
make the keyboard lock at the single user mode prompt
when it is being asked for giving the root sh (sh):

Since BOUNCE_BUFFERS is obsolete now I'm wondering
whether my system will see the full 32 MB.