Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 09:12:24 +0000
From:      Matt H <matt@proweb.co.uk>
To:        "Mark Drayton" <mark.drayton@izrsolutions.com>
Cc:        ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting daemon only for user; gotta be simple?

> >   I want to have fetchmail running in daemon mode, so I put the
> >   according entry into my .fetchmailrc: set daemon 900 for example.
> >   But the daemon gets started only when I run fetchmail once manually
> >   on the command line.
> >
> >   I am looking for a way to have this task automated. A script in
> >   /usr/local/etc/rc.d comes into mind, but this would start polling
> >   for mail only for root wouldn't it?

fetchmail doesn't care what username it runs under, it delivers using your
local MTA to the user. fetchmailrc determines which users the mail goes
to.

just put your .fetchmailrc in /root so no-one can peek at it

%ls -la /root/.fetchmail
-rwx--x---   1 root     wheel         353 Feb  8 13:34 .fetchmailrc

I run mine under my own username so that I can type fetchmmail at the
prompt to manually invoke mail retreival when necessary but it will still
deliver to anyone

%cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail.sh

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/su matt -c "/usr/local/bin/fetchmail -d 300 &