Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 2015 08:39:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        araujo@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: setting up a port for GlusterFS?

Marcelo wrote:
> Hey Rick,
>
> Yes, I can do it, if there is no other people interested.

Well, if you could do it that would be great. You've probably
already seen Jordan's post as a starting point.
Here's what I ended up doing:
Installed these ports:
- ports/devel/bison
  ports/sysutils/liburcu
  ports/textproc/libxml2
  ports/devel/libtool
  ports/devel/automake
  ports/devel/autoconf
I also had a bunch of ports installed when I installed subversion
and I think these are the ones needed from the set already installed:
(I might have missed a couple here. Usually "configure" complains if
 something is missing.)
Needed ports already installed:
- ports/lang/python27
  ports/devel/readline
  ports/databases/sqlite3

Here's the url that I downloaded the tarball from:
download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/LATEST/glusterfs-3.7.6.tar.gz

Then to build it:
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
- which all worked ok. Without running "autogen.sh" first, the rest works
  but it doesn't create the shared libraries for some reason?
make install
- fails right near the end because DESTDIR isn't defined, when installing
  glusterfsfind. (I can fix it via a 1 line patch that replaces $(DESTDIR)
  with $(DESTDIR)$(glusterfinddir) in the Makefile, but I don't know what
  the correct fix is. Since this install happens at the end, all the important
  stuff is already installed.)

Once the "make install" is done, the system basically works, but there are
some issues that need to be resolved:
- It installs most things under /usr/local, but installs mount_glusterfs in
  /sbin. Is this allowable/reasonable? (Btw, it still won't work being started
  from mount(8), you have to run the command by itself.)
- The man pages are in /usr/local/share/man/man8 and "man" doesn't see them
  by default.
- There is an rc.d script under glusterfs-3.7.6/extras that isn't installed.
  (Probably just as well, since it doesn't load fuse. Without fuse loaded,
   mount_glusterfs fails silently.)
  Is a port allowed to add scripts to /etc/rc.d?

So, if you would like to take this on, I think that would be great. I'll
admit to knowing nothing about ports setup or the autogen/configure stuff,
so I would be struggling to get it done.

Thanks, rick