Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 02:29:51 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
Cc:        "Michael R. Rudel" <mrr@amity.ai.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux header files

> On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Michael R. Rudel wrote:
>
> [Linux headers]
> > Perhaps we could somehow get these header files in the FreeBSD
> > distribution, only interfaced to the FreeBSD operating system instead?
> > This would make compiling stuff much eaiser.
>
> I think there is a port which does this.  Linux-devel, or
> something...  ?  I vaguely seem to remember Mike Smith being
> behind this, so you might possibly be able to narrow your search
> down to ones he maintains.

It looks like my reply to the previous message was lost, so I'll try
again.

 - There is zero chance of getting Linux-specific headers into the
   FreeBSD distribution.  That's why they're Linux-specific.

 - If you are trying to build a Linux executable on FreeBSD, you will
   want the linux-emul and linux-devel packages installed.  Neither
   of these will help you build a FreeBSD executable from Linux-centric
   sources.

 - If you are trying to build a FreeBSD executable, the correct fix is
   to patch the application's sources to include the correct FreeBSD
   headers, and submit your patches to the application's maintainers.

This will make compiling stuff easer.

mike