Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:55:35 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

On 5 Apr 2002, at 16:32, Mike Meyer boldly uttered:

> In <20020405101556339.AAA391@empty1.ekahuna.com@pc02.ekahuna.com>, Philip J. Koenig <pjklist@ekahuna.com> typed:
> > On 5 Apr 2002, at 11:06, Ceri boldly uttered:

> > > This is in the FAQ.
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#FREEBSD-MAIL-BOUNCES
> > Interesting on the HTML blocking.  While I'd love to run a list that
> > way, many of the ones I've been on would be filled with angry people
> > if all HTML messages were blocked.  Tons of people sending that junk
> > nowadays. (much to my chagrin)
>
> I think you misread the filter description. It doesn't bounce messages
> that are HTML and plaintext, which is very common. it bounces messages
> that are HTML only. I've only seen one place generate such messages
> that aren't spam.
>
> 	<mike

I use local filters here that flag HTML messages as probable spam,
but a significant percentage of messages so flagged are NOT spam, and
I have to watch for them. (if I corresponded with more of the general
public of Windows users, I suspect I'd have a much higher percentage
of HTML messages which were not spam)

Note that the rule matches on "text/html" in message headers.
Generally this means these are "HTML only" messages.  Most mixed
messages have only "multipart/alternative" or "multipart/mixed" in
the headers.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium