Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:05:14 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: maxusers and random system freezes

Marc Recht wrote:
> Every now and this I hear people saying (mostly you :)) that some problems
> are KVA related or that the KVA must be increased. This makes me a bit
> curious, since I've never seen problems like that on Linux. It sounds for
> me, the not kernel hacker, a bit like something which should be set at boot
> time (or via sysctl). Have you got some pointers which explain FreeBSD's
> KVA ?

I have written documentation for FreeBSD 4.3/4.4.  Unfortunately,
everyone keeps substituting activity for action, and hacking away
at the code, so it doesn't sit still long enough to match any
useful documentation; otherwise, I would have published what I
wrote in Pentad Embedded Systems Journal already (example: the
KVA_PAGES stuff came in after FreeBSD 4.3/4.4, and blew out two
paragraphs on what to modify where, and how to calculate the
values to use).

The best documentation is probably Matt Dillon's article in Daemon
News, the FreeBSD Developer's handbook, or the German guy's article
in English (sorry for not remembering your name), depending on what
part of things you are interested in.

If you could get people to leave the damn code alone for a while,
I'd be willing to update my article to FreeBSD RELENG_4 (-STABLE),
and publish it.  One of the major problems with undocumented code
is that weenies are unwilling to sit down and understand it, so
they rewrite it to understand it, instead, and then you are still
without documentation.

Documentation that's "almost right" is unbelievably worse than no
documentation at all.

-- Terry