Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 08:00:27 +1100 (EST)
From:      Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfws

Avalon,

I did think about the domain issues before implimenting socket credentials.
The bind() wormholing is really only weakly coupled, but the socket
credential routines are tightly coupled, and so they must be if you want
to get the degree of control and efficiency out of them that I have.

I considered a scheme that used only the information from socket()
bind() and connect(), but rejected it because its lack of fine control
and ability to eliminate covert channels in connectionless, broadcast,
multicast, routing, icmp, raw sockets etc without eliminating that form of
communication entirely.

In terms of grammer, I agree that perhaps the bind() list could be
viewed as a seperate, given its non use of the destination
address/port. On the other hand the grammers are close enough that
I'm not so sure it is wise to seperate them entirely. Perhaps a
change from "accept" to "bind", a lexical trigger that the "to"
keyword and argument is not required.

In anyevent, if you port ipfilter to -current, I promise to port
socket and bind credentials to ipfilter.

Cheers,
Julian.