Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 21:49:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   package building (Re: Who built XFree86 with Kerberos?)

 * Ah.  Sorry for the confusion over this then.  I think Mike's just
 * about got the new drive array ready (we got one of wcarchive's old
 * cast-off drive racks) and we should be seeing at least 16-20GB of
 * storage coming on line on bento very shortly.

Thanks.  Mike just added another 9GB drive to paddock, which will help
tremendously for the 2.2.8 building.

 * Hmmmm.  Well, while I can certainly understand the situation, I still
 * worry somewhat about how well all of this is going to scale when we
 * get up past 3000 packages.  Sure, it's a very non-linear task and

That's what I thought when we got past the 500 port mark. :)

If you take today's bsd.port.mk and stick it in a 2.1 system, you can
probably build 99% of the packages automatically.  We've improved that
much.  However, so have the sheer number of ports, and with them come
new quirks that we need to add knobs for.  Since it usually takes me a
few months to come up with a solution to a new program, we're always
in a state that no top-down build is possible. ;)

 * > Also, you can't just take a "snapshot" and call it a release.  Unless
 * > that automated builds sets FOR_CDROM, you'll have various bits that
 * > can't be put on a CDROM on the ftp site.  There is also an issue of
 *
 * Does this statement still hold in light of your recent commits to
 * support cleaning of the package collection for this?

It will only work if all the packages are built and distfiles are
fetched for the same snapshot of the tree.  Since the packages-stable
and distfiles directories are constantly updated, it doesn't quite fit
that requirement.

For packages, we can do something with a timestamp (only take packages
built since the ports tree is last updated, etc.), but not for
distfiles.  Their timestamps have to be preserved so we won't be
supplying the world tarballs that are identical to the original except
for timestamps.

However, if we get an automated script working, something which can
build the entire tree in a reasonable amount of time (say, 2 days),
then of course you can take it from there and prune the non-cdrom-able
bits.

 * OK.  Well, then please consider November 15th your advance notice for
 * a 2.2.8 release on November 30th.

Ack.

 * If this has been a problem then I apologise - I'll try to make a more
 * concerted effort to keep you and the rest of the ports team in the
 * communications loop.

 * Done:
 *
 * 	releng:         jkh,asami,msmith,jseger,steve

Thanks.  That should help.

 * All of that is doable.  I can't give you an 8 machine cluster, but I
 * probably could arrange a 3 machine cluster (paddock, builder, bento)
 * with a shared 30-40GB chunk of space and their own 9GB local caches
 * for speed (build to cache, ship from cache to shared collection in the
 * background).  I'll take you up on that promise! :-)

Well, we're talking about something that's slower (per port) in an
order of at least a magnitude than the current system, so I'm not sure
if 3 machines is quite going to be enough.  But I'll work on it.

We can continue this discussion on the other thread (the one in which
I proposed an algorithm).

Satoshi