Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 01:19:15 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, grog@lemis.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Indentation styles

>> Don't use indent on other peoples code.

>What's the alternative?  My tools don't understand a lot of the code
>out there, and I have difficulty.

Use whatever tools you like, but don't attempt to change the public
version.

>> BSD indent is too broken to produce BSD style :-(.  It can only
>> produce an approximation that looks OK but has too many differences
>> for automatic use.

>What about GNU indent?  Or is that NIH?

It's a bit better, but not 100% backwards compatible, and a long way from
understanding enough about C to do a good job.

>Precisely :-)  But why are we stuck with 8 characters?  I can't find
>anything about it in style(9).  It says "Second level indents are four
>spaces." and then proceeds to show examples with 8 character indents.

I think the amount of indentation and tab style was supposed to be
self-documenting.  It has been obscured by nroff adding 5 spaces more
indentation.  I think "second level indents" are for continued lines.

Bruce