Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:25:59 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Flash-Card Reader

Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu> types:
> Speaking of more robust USB support. I bought a flash-card reader for
> work. Of course it has drivers for windows and works, but I would love
> to be able to use it in FreeBSD. It is a
>
> 	*NewMedia USB Port Flash-Link*
>
> All dmesg says about it is (I have a verbose boot at the end in case
> there's some other useful info):
>

> uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0x6400-0x641f irq 11 at device 7.2 on pci0
> usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> ugen0: SIIG product 0x0001, rev 1.00/0.01, addr 2
>
> I read an earlier e-mail that said the sandisk is treated as a scsi
> device da*. I do have scbus et al in my KERNCONF:

One of the sandisk cards CF readers is recognized - not all of them
are. In particular, those that follow the appropriate USB standards
for mass storage devices will work. Those that use proprietary
interfaces won't work. Since the umass driver isn't recognizing the
drive, it's probably proprietary. This isn't a problem for Windows, as
the manufacturer writes the driver.

> device		scbus
> device		da
> device		sa
> device		cd
> device		pass
> device		pt
> options 	SCSI_DELAY=8000
> device		uhci
> device		ohci
> device		usb
> device		ugen
> device		uhid
> device		umass
> device		ulpt
>
> Anyway, if there's any useful information I can provide to help get
> this working, I'll be glad to do what I can to contribute.
> Unfortunately, my knowledge in this area is limited. Any
> feedback/pointers greatly appreciated.

You need to get interface specification out of the driver. If they
reference USB standards, that's fine. If it's a supported standard,
getting it to work should be straightforward. If not - you're probably
out of luck.

	<mike