Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:36:34 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Let 3.x die ASAP?

A bit of a controvesical question, for sure.

I am so impressed with the results of upgrading my more important
machines to 4.0 or 4-stable that I could imagine not to produce any
more 3.x releases.

Let us consider what happens when we release 3.5 before or at the same
time as 4.1:
- People will publish reviews based on 3.5 instead of 4.1. As usual,
  an unadaequate number of them running on SMP machines.
- People will run into inferious hardware support, especially they
  will have trouble with large IDE disks and/or IDE PCI controller.
  Similar issues for Laptop users.
- People will continue to run with inferiour NFS, Linux emulator etc.
  The same applies to networking fixes against attacks, especially
  DOS.
- People will choose 3.5 over 4.1 and will later go through an
  3.x->4.x upgrade for no good reason.
- The remaining issues in 4.x (especially hardware) aren't addressed
  as fast. There will be some issues with "unclean" usage that the
  core userbase doesn't use that don't come up until the masses jump
  on them.

For me, the real reason is that I now hate the latest 3.x after seeing
the improvements. It is near to junk, IMHO.

Several machine of mine had gone instable while moving from 3.[01] to
3.4-stable and I suspected hardware trouble. I didn't debug it because
I didn't want to mess with 3.x anymore. Now after upgrading to 4.x the
same machines are rock-stable again. It is my impression that the 3.x
branch lost the required testing when the core committers moved to
4.0-current. Higher releases of 3.x are just not polished/tested
enough anymore, beside the undoubted concrete bug fixes.

Speaking of testing by committers, I also hate to have machines for
three branches running to develop bugfixes that apply to more than
-current. In fact my last 3.x machine (besides a 3.1 machine that
doesn't have the IDE troubles I have with 3.4-stable) is now a
production machine of my employer that I'd like to upgrade as well. I
couldn't think of a good reason to delay that upgrade for 3 or 6
months if my boss asked me. When i upgrade, I had to commit userland
bugfixes to 3.x with only testing them on a newer branch. Kernel
bugfixes would be impossible unless I find someone to test them for
me.

I assume that I'm not alone here. That many bug-fixing committers will
not move with 3 machines along the current branches and that 3.5 will
not be a worthy successor to our previous *.5 releases.

Opinions?

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/