Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:38:09 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Jamie <hostmaster@snet.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port audio/cd2mp3 query

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 11:14:14AM +0100, Jamie wrote:
> Don't mean to be rude, but when will the update I submitted
> to the GNATS database take effect for my port???
>
> I have been waiting a while now, and have people
> complaining funnily enough :(
>
> I know you guys have a lot of work to do, but plz. could
> you do it when you get a spare few mins.?
>
> Would be very much appreciated :)))

Because you did not follow the instructions available on the Porter's
Handbook, I had to mutilate your PR such:

% cd ~/ports/audio
% getpr 21620
 [ creates a file `pr-patch' which contains your shar ]
% mkdir cd2mp3 && mv pr-patch cd2mp3
% sh pr-patch && cd ..
% cd /usr/ports/audio/cd2mp3 && cvs update -jHEAD
% cd ~/ports/audio
% diff -urN --exclude=CVS /usr/ports/audio/cd2mp3 cd2mp3 > /usr/ports/audio/cd2mp3/cd2mp3.diff
% cd /usr/ports/audio/cd2mp3

Then I inspected the resulting cd2mp3.diff and found problems:

        1) You do NOT change the $FreeBSD$ id tag.
        2) You do NOT change the "Date Created" line.
        3) You do NOT pollute the Makefile with spaces instead of tabs.
        4) You forgot to bump PORTEPOCH due to down-versioning.

As such, this update wasted my time and essentially this is why some PRs
get taken care if in 10 minutes - because people that know what they're
doing do it The Right Way (tm).  The other PRs are lumped into "look at
this when I have about an hour or so to waste" category and left alone
for a few weeks or even months.

--
Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> - Physics Computer Network wench
The Universal Answer to All Problems - "It has something to do with physics."