Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:19:53 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <chris@behanna.org>
To:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS: Failed pool causes system to hang

On Mar 24, 2013, at 13:54 , Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com> wrote:

>>> [...situations in which you *have* to reboot...]
>=20
> [...all well and good, except for cases where someone has to =
physically hit a button on a remote server...]
>=20
>> People who run servers remotely yet lack this capability are
>> intentionally choosing [snip]
>=20
> Before you get up on a high horse and preach at me, consider a couple =
things:
>=20
> 1) Yes I can set that up, but this is a test box on my desk right now.
>=20
> 2) A hard reset is a hard reset is a hard reset. I'm not bitching that =
I have to physically walk over to the machine, I'm bitching that *THAT I =
HAVE TO RESET IT*. Being able to reset it remotely is NOT an acceptable =
solution or workaround, and has no bearing on my problem.

	Sure, there are bugs that inhibit the ability to reboot from =
command-line.  We shouldn't shrug them off, but we should also =
acknowledge that the software is very complicated, and rooting out such =
bugs takes time.  Plus, this is a volunteer project.

	That said, there are some chassis that will let you drop to =
lights-out management and force a reboot without having to physically =
press a button, provided you have a way to reach the lights-out =
management console.  This often means, at least, a serial line =
concentrator somewhere ("conserver" is simply awesome), or KVM-over-IP.

	Worst case, you have IP-addressable PDUs into which you can =
telnet and hard-reset a particular outlet, to power-cycle a machine that =
is truly, irrevocably stuck, without having to have a human walk over =
and stick a paper clip into the reset hole.  This should be a last =
resort, though, as abrupt power-cycling shortens hardware life.

--=20
Best,
Chris BeHanna
chris@behanna.org=