Date:      Tue, 20 May 2008 21:55:31 +1200
From:      "James Butler" <sweetnavelorange@gmail.com>
To:        "Jeremy Chadwick" <koitsu@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend/resume on IBM X31

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:24:43PM +1200, James Butler wrote:
>> Second problem: When the system panics, I don't get a dump (or
>> textdump for that matter, when I turn them on); in the boot messages,
>> I see "kernel dumps on /dev/ad0s2b" and then later (from memory),
>> "Looking for core dumps on /dev/ad0s2b.... savecore: no dumps found"
>> or somesuch. I know from trying out textdumps that dumping works in
>> other circumstances.
>
> This is a known problem, but is difficult to solve (chicken-and-egg
> situation).  There's an open PR for it.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/118255
>
> --
> | Jeremy Chadwick                                jdc at parodius.com |
> | Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |
> | UNIX Systems Administrator                  Mountain View, CA, USA |
> | Making life hard for others since 1977.              PGP: 4BD6C0CB |

Thanks for the pointer, but this doesn't seem to exactly match my
situation. I can boot to single-user after a panic, no swap, and
savecore still tells me that there's no dump present; conversely (I
should have made this clearer) kernel dumps work for me when the panic
is triggered in other ways (eg. by switching vt's too quickly from X -
don't know why).

Maybe tomorrow I'll try manually transcribing some DDB output, but for
me the more interesting problem is why /etc/rc.suspend is not
executed. I haven't even thought about /etc/rc.resume yet :-)

Thanks,
-James Butler