Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:29:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Tony Holmes <tony@crosswinds.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID 1+0

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Tony Holmes wrote:

> Aye, it's hot swap LVD scsi on an internally terminated backplane.

Are you sure?  I've never seen an internally terminated hot-swap
backplane, probably because it helps prevent foot-shooting.  It
wouldn't surprise me if someone does make one, though.

> Ot the two drives that dropped, one will no longer spin up and the
> other has a massive media error right in the middle of the platter.

I recall that several of the drives that fell out of the array I was
looking at had become physically damaged (wouldn't spin up and/or be
recognized at all).  The rest of them that dropped out without any
apparent reason were physically OK, but the lack of proper termination
probably caused enough errors to force the RAID controller to drop the
drive.  Those drives are still running today and with proper
termination they haven't given any trouble.  I have to wonder if the
lack of termination can physically damage a drive given enough time
(and a heavy load, as it was), or if it was just coincidental that we
had some physically damaged drives in the midst of the termination
problem.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.