Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:58:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   gif2png: 'optional' dependencies

I am trying to fix a gif2png port, recently updated
with ports/14331 PR.

I have two problems with this port, and I am sure that
they were somehow discussed there, but searching the
list archive didn't help much. Please excuse me if my problems
are too trivial for the -ports sharks, but I thinks
that tuning the details of ports is a good way of making
FreeBSD a YetBetterOS(tm). :)

Original gif2png is a C program, compiled into an ELF binary.
However, gif2png 1.1.1 comes with a tiny Python script,
called web2png, which assists a larger batch job of gif-to-png
conversion. The script is also accompanied by a manpage,
so we have "MAN1= gif2png.1 web2png.1" in the Makefile.

First, smaller problem, is to fix the initial "#!" line.
The original one says:

 #! /usr/bin/python

and is obviuosly incorrect, since most pythons are
installed in /usr/local/bin.

What is The Right Way(tm) of finding the location of python
binary? Should I just use 'which' or should I somehow search
the package database ... or should I just assume ${PREFIX}/bin?

Second, a bit more important is... what about python dependency?
I don't think it is necessary to add python as a dependency
for this little script. I see three options:

1) install this script as-is into ${PREFIX}/bin and fix the
#! (see the problem above)

2) detect whether python is installed and install the script then.
(what if the user installs python later for any reason?)

3) create a small mini-port for web2png alone (say py-web2png),
requiring both gif2png and python to be installed.
Any hints how to force this mini-port not to use it's own
distfile and just to sneak into the gif2png work tree and install
the script and manpage of it's own? This seems more elegant,
however isn't it a waste of space/bandwidth for yet
another Makefile, pkg, and all the stuff belonging to the port.

Or any other suggestions welcome...

--
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>