Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 2009 05:07:37 -0400
From:      John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to recover after power outage

On Apr 5, 2009, at 4:41 AM, Glen Barber wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 2:59 AM, John Almberg <jalmberg@identry.com>
> wrote:
>> Blast... my beautiful FreeBSD servers were rudely switched off
>> when my data
>> had a power outage a couple hours ago. They restored power about
>> 30 minutes
>> later, and one box came up no problem.
>>
>> The other has a login prompt on the serial console, but my login
>> does not
>> work. I get a "Login incorrect" message, even though the username/
>> password
>> is correct.
>>

> Can you log in as *any* user?  Even root login fails?

Can't log in at all.

>> When I try to SSH into the box, I get this (server name changed):
>>
>> $ ssh user@example.com -p 48420
>> ssh: connect to host example.com port 48420: Connection refused
>>
>> In other words, I seem to be locked out.
>>
>> I don't want to do anything drastic without having a good idea
>> what I'm
>> doing. Any suggestions, much appreciated.
>>

> What was the previous (estimated) uptime on the machine?

Several months, at least.

> In other
> words, did you change something and not/forget to restart the service?

I don't believe so, but if I forgot it, then I guess anything is
possible.

>  Have you tried ssh-ing to port 22 to see if the setting was changed
> back to default?

I can't at the moment, because the guys at NYI are working on the
box. They have run fsck, which doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

> Are there any other services on this box?  If so, are they running?

The main app is MySQL. I don't think it is running, but can't really
tell unless I can log in.

I have backups, and while NYI is trying to get this box running, I'm
setting up a new database server, just in case...

-- John