Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:46:03 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        Jack James <indyjj@indy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: files

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 08:57:30AM -0500, Jack James wrote:
> Hi,
> I like the documentation and site.

sure, http://www.freebsd.org/ is the site and you'll find the
documentation there too.

> I have been a DOS and Windows operator, following an EFI 332 site at
> Ohio State. They are using Red Hat RPM files and RTEMS.  A friend at
> AT&T, Bill Kessler is using FreeBSD and recommended it for speed and
> stability.  I want to check if my machine will boot Linux and can't find
> files.
> Please include kern.flp and mfsroot.flp on this site.

you can find kern.flp and mfsroot.flp in the freebsd site given above.

> Questions:
> 1.  Will Freebsd run RPM format files?

I think theres a port to install things with RPM's though i don't see why
you would like that funcionality. FreeBSD has a ports collection which
probably contains most of the software that you'll find in RPM's.

On other way to take the question is "can freebsd run linux binaries?"
if that was your question, the answer is yes!, FreeBSD has linux emmulation.

> 2.   Is there a DOS  emulator for Linux?

for linux? yes, i think there are several. for FreeBSD, i know there are
several.

> 3.  Does FreeBSD support Motorala compilers?

if you mean a cross compiler that targets motorola processors, yes. you'll
find one in the ports collection.

regards,

-oscar