Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:56:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Shaun Jurrens <shaun.jurrens@skoleetaten.oslo.no>
Cc:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Subject:   Re: fxp0: device timeout | SCB already complete (me too)

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Shaun Jurrens wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:32:46PM +0200, Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> #> Hi Shaun,
> #>
> #> Thanks for the input! Glad to hear I'm not the only one
> #>
> #> In my case, both the SCSI and NIC are integrated on the motherboard, so I
> #> cannot really move them around... :)
> #>
> #> Also, as I mentioned, I tried a de0 (PCI card, not onboard, and it
> #> literally stopped the machine). Is the de0 driver also a problem?
>
> 	I'm beginning to think it's a scsi problem of sorts as well so
> 	I clipped -hardware and Cc'd -scsi on this. I just happed to
> 	(unfortunately) run into this on another box yesterday after
> 	four months of relative quiet. I happened to be moving an
> 	interface over from some crap Nortel switch to a nice Cisco
> 	switch and promptly a different interface began to do it's dance.
> 	It's the same interface each time (and I've changed cards...)
> 	Anyway, for the record, a little from messages:
>
> Jun  2 18:48:43 nol33n0x /kernel: fxp0: Microcode loaded, int_delay: 1000 usec
> bundle_max: 6
> Jun  4 16:57:50 nol33n0x /kernel: fxp1: SCB timeout: 0x80 0xe0 0x50 0x0
> Jun  4 16:57:51 nol33n0x last message repeated 4 times
> Jun  4 16:57:51 nol33n0x /kernel: fxp1: SCB timeout: 0x80 0xe0 0x50 0x400
> Jun  4 16:57:58 nol33n0x /kernel: fxp1: SCB timeout: 0x80 0xe0 0x50 0x0
> Jun  4 16:57:58 nol33n0x last message repeated 3 times

This doesn't mention SCSI anywhere.  Your problem is almost certainly a
PCI/interrupt problem.  I'm redirecting this thread to -stable.

> #> >The only suggestion I can offer at the moment is to try various card
> #> >placements over your PCI slots. I've found stability using one of the
> #> >first two slots for my Adaptec controller (2940U[2]W, 29160[N]) and the
> #> >rest for the Intel nics.

I got panics on boot with my BP6 (SMP) when I had an ahc controller in a
PCI slot that didn't support bus mastering.  I suggest you do what the
above message says and try different combinations of cards in slots (i.e.
keep removing one until you no longer get the messages and move around
which slot is free).  This will help people track down the problem.  Also
get your mobo manual and check if any slots force interrupt sharing or
don't support bus mastering.

-Nate