Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 23:33:32 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any feedback on my recent kernel 'fixes'

On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 07:44:54PM +0100, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 1998 at 11:59:10PM -0500, Mark Mayo wrote:
> > Well, I just cvsup'ed and have been pounding my box with "real world"
> > workstation type use.. I have 32MB of RAM, and I ran several
> > copies of Netscape,
>
> Hey - which Netscape?  I've got 64M and 141M swap, and I'm getting
> 'out of swap space' _often_ with just a single Netscape 4.04 and a
> couple of Netscape-windows.

I use the stand-alone Navigator version (4.04). I don't get
out of swap space messages. The only thing I can think of is that
all of my limits are set to infinity.

> I've got a couple of related things that might be of significance - I
> have bktr in the kernel, run 1600x1200x16-bit resolution, and I'm
> running XFree.

FWIW I run XFree 3.3.1 at 1152x900x16, using the Millenium video card.

> Eivind, who just thought he was way too low on swap...

What does pstat -s or vmstat or top show when netscape claims to
be out of swap space?

-Mark

P.S. For anybody else out there who wants to torture test an
X workstation like I did, my only advice is to get really used to
how far you need to move your mouse relative to screen position.
Under huge swapping/disk activity successfully using a mouse is
the largest challenge. I recomend learning how to use all your WM's
hot keys for popping between apps!  8-)

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU