Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 18:14:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
To:        Yu-Shun Wang <yushunwa@isi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPComp question

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Yu-Shun Wang wrote:

> 	Another (sort of) related question: I've got the bandwidth
> 	measurements for different algorthms using netperf. I was
> 	really surprised that IPComp did so bad. Any ideas?

AFAIK, netperf TCP_STREAM test (and may be others) is extremely
susceptible to network delays. For example, for a fast Ethernet
connection with, say, 30msec packet delay, netperf may show less than
10Mbits/sec bandwidth instead of the usual 90+Mbits/sec. Clearly,
bandwidth and response times are orthogonal measurements, but netperf
design ties them together.

Depending on your test environment and purposes, netperf throughput
results may be very misleading.

$0.02,

Alex.