Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:52:24 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Kreider, Carl" <carl.kreider@windriver.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: read a file from a driver

Michael Smith wrote:
> > For drivers which must be active in the boot path, it is
> > generally necessary to embed the firmware in the driver as
> > data.  This is what FreeBSD does for the Adaptec SCSI
> > drivers.
> >
> > For drivers that need to be active after boot time, but before
> > the mi_startup() is complete, you can load the data in a module
> > that contains the data.  THis is similar to compiling the data
> > into the kernel, but puts it at a minor level of abstraction.
>
> These two are the same case.  See eg. the isp_fw module.

I made the distinction because I could make up a situation
where they were different, or where you could replace low
performance firmware with higher performance firmware.  The
Adaptec firmware that comes from the POST is good enough to
load enough of the OS for the OS driver to take over, and
the OS driver replaces the firmware.

You could also consider the case where the firmware module
was loaded, the firmware shoved down to the card by the
driver, and then the module containing it was unloaded
(recovering the data space).  This is a tiny amount of
space for modern systems, but it's a possibility.

You could also think about booting with one set of Tigon II
firmware, replacing it, and then resetting the driver, which
would result in the replacement firmware being shoved down.

There's also the possibility of updating the firmware for
a driver using a module that's loaded at boot time, but
having firmware compiled into it.

These are all really border cases, and the distinction is
really slight, though... just trying to dot the I's and
cross the T's.  8-).

-- Terry