Date:      Fri,  6 Jul 2007 20:45:18 +1000
From:      andrew.walters@cerebrum.com.au
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg woes

Hello

I am hoping that this is the right place to request help for such a
problem - I am attempting to make the transition from Windows to
FreeBSD so bear with me, Also, my apologies if you receive this more =20
than once, I have never subscribed to a mailing list and suspect that =20
my first request did not come through as I was not subscribed - but if =20
it did, I am sorry.

My issue is this: I cannot, for the life of me, get a working X configuratio=
n.

I am running an AMD-64 (Asus M2V-TVM) with an integrated VIA K8M890
graphics chip.

I have installed a working (text only) version of FreeBSD 6.2
following the FreeBSD installation instructions and have downloaded
and built Xorg using the same instructions.

I attempted to configure Xorg for my setup but on every test could not
get a usable screen.

Having done a bit of research and discovering that the VIA chip was
problematic, I bought a NVIDIA 85000GT because the NVIDIA driver
support seemed to be much better. Unfortunately, the results were no
better.

I am also running Windows and have tried an installation of Ubuntu on
the box with both cards without any real hassles.

I have set the refresh and sync rates amd the modes for the screen
(have even copied the working "Vesa" setup from Ubuntu) but I still
can't get a working screen (it varies from completely black using the
NVIDIA cars to a fuzzy mess using the Via).

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be extremely
appreciated.

Regards

Andrew