Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:50:13 +0200
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-cvsweb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: @command_path not used?

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 15:11 -0500, Richard Hurt wrote:

> I am having difficulty using the diff functionality of CVSWeb.  My
> system (HP-UX 11) has older, HP versions of the various external tools
> used by CVSWeb (rlog, rcsdiff, diff, etc.) located at /usr/bin.  I
> have loaded the newer, GNU versions in my own directory
> /home/www/apps/bin and set the @command_path list to only my
> directory.  Most things are working fine including the graph
> functionality, however whenever I try to diff two versions it always
> uses the wrong diff (/usr/bin/diff) which doesnt recognize the -u
> option.  :(
>
> I have tried a couple of different things but nothing seems to work.
> When I created a blank @command_path listing I couldn't even see the
> home page (complained about rlog missing), so it seems to work (at
> least for some commands).  Any thoughts on why this is happening?

@command_path affects only executables directly invoked by cvsweb.  And
cvsweb doesn't invoke diff directly [0], it invokes rcsdiff which then
again uses internally whatever diff it considers appropriate.

One thing to try: add this somewhere in your cvsweb.conf:

  $ENV{PATH} = '/home/www/apps/bin';

If rcsdiff uses $PATH, that could help.  If not, it might have a
compiled in path to the diff tool it's using.  HTH...

[0] By default, that is.  One can configure different diff tools for
    different MIME types with %DIFF_COMMANDS in cvsweb.conf.