Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:22:54 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>, Koroush Saraf <koroush.saraf@lmco.com>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 runs as root but not as user!

uhm. ok. the wrapper allows users to get around a hurdle, yes. it
enables them to run an suid binary without giving the users themselves
suid permissions. the whole point is to improve security, as opposed to
your solution of changing permissions on the X binary itself.

and not every package has a manpage. if you want to know what a package
is, look at its description file. /usr/ports/x11/wrapper/pkg-descr. and
download the code and look at it. it's a very small app.

and for the record, 'rehash' won't do anything to help you load
manpages.

-Adam