Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:39:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw vs. ipf (was: Re: PicoBSD's kernel, /dev/kmem, and the kernfs

[this is a serious reply even if the tone sounds not]

> Finally, for dummynet and fair queuing I prefer using ALTQ, for
> similar reasons. After I have survived the pain of saying goodbye
> to ipfw, I wonder why FreeBSD tries to make its own thing with
> ipfw instead of just riding the wave of ipf.

and i wonder why <foo>BSD tries to make its own thing with the
operating system instead of just riding the wave of <bar>BSD.

My understanding is that diversity is good.

Case in point, dummynet and ALTQ are really two different beasts
with different features, goals and performance.  Sometimes you need
one, sometimes you need the other, and understandably no developer
on either side has the interest or energy to merge features.

Also from a developer's point of view, it surely takes me, or Darren,
or Kenjiro, very little programming effort, and no politics, to
modify our own babies, whereas it would take endless email exchanges
just to reach consensus on features, followed by discussions on
2 vs 4 vs 8 space indentation etc. etc.

Not to mention NIH syndrome which plays a fundamental role in all camps :)

	cheers
	luigi