Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 01:59:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@xtalwind.net>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating BSDI 1.1 Passwords

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Mark Mayo wrote:

> Hi all, I have a BSDI 1.1 server with about 3000 users... I REALLY want to
> move it to FreeBSD (2.1.5), but I'm concerned about the password files.
>
> I know FreeBSD ships with MD5, and I'm in Canada so that means I can
> safely use DES crypt routines - but does that mean I can use password
> files that are DES encrypted?? (i.e. BSDI 1.1)
>
> Has anyone moved BSDI password files to a FreeBSD system? If so, I'd love
> to hear about your success (hopefully not failure).

Considering a possible similar move in the future, I copied a ~700 user
BSDI 2.0 set to FreeBSD 2.15 and all 8 of the accounts (including root
:-}) that I tried worked.  Only minor problems was a complaint about some
missing paths.

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@onyx.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD