Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 19:09:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: StarOffice 5.0....

Hi!

On Tue, 18 May 1999, William Woods wrote:

> I went to their download page and it is down right now for "redesign"....any
> other places that you know of?

Well, it also says now that it will be open tomorrow... you should be a
bit more patient:-) Maybe there will be some new release coming out as
well... you can download the binary from a couple of places and in fact
even buy it on CD-ROM (sometimes they give it with various IT magazines)
but if you download it it will not run unless you have a license key. The
CD versions will work with the media key on the cover for 30 days but
after that a key must be acquired for them as well. In fact, w/o the key
you cannot even install it because it is like in Windoze, the install
program with dialog boxes and stuff. (And eats up horredous amount of
resources, especially RAM.) I only use it for M$ compatibilty because this
far this is the only suite that handles M$ formats both for import and
export and is free for personal non-commercial use (ugh! That term very
much sounds like some shareware notice... I hated 'em on Windoze:-) But I
simply cannot say to people who do not even know that Microsoft exists and
that there is also a world beyond Win that please do not give those .doc
and .xls files to me. To them, using Word is equivalent to typing
documents. They cannot even imagine it differently.(I even had a hard time
convincing them that they
should not pass around files in Office97 format because there are many who
use older versions.)

A place to download from would be

the Sunsite at UNC or ftp.tu-clausthal.de, BTW. But after you get the key,
it will tell you all places where you should go.

Regards:
          Szilveszter

          Szeged University
          Hungary