Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2007 20:51:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Pollywog <lists-fbsd@shadypond.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Future development of Jail (was Re: corporate backers of freebsd)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Colin Percival wrote:

> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Yes, Gary, there are companies who also fund FreeBSD work in several
> > ways [...] Some examples which I recall off the top of my head are:
>
> Don't forget pair Networks, which has generously supported phk, andre,
> and myself on our respective "sponsored FreeBSD coding" fundraising
> drives of 2004, 2005, and 2006, with slightly over $40,000 in total.

Not that I have a pile of money laying around I could throw at it, but the
thing I wish for most from FreeBSD is a more mature and robust jail
implementation. Specifically, the ability to implement per-jail quotas and
resource limitations on disk, memory, network and cpu. I'd really love a
seperate network stack for each jail...that's critical for a plethora of
reasons. I'd be curious what sort of commitment (in $) that would require.

There was some development being done last year (2006) to that effect, but
the developer seems to have abandoned it.

Over the next 2-3 years, as cheap commodity hardware continues to explode
with numerous processors with numerous cores and several gigs of memory,
fast busses and standard multiple gige ports, inexpensive solid state
disks...down the road I think it will become best common practice to setup
any service on a virtual server, if for no other reason than to abstract
the operating environment from the hardware to enable greater levels of
redundancy and to better leverage the unused horsepower of these boxes in
such a way that doesn't increase exposure and vulnerability.

We seem to be very close to having the ability to completely segregate the
control-plane from the data-plane (using router terminology). This is such
a huge improvement over the status quo that I'm a little bit sad and
confused why it seems to be such a low priority with the developers. But
they have their hands full and nobody seems to be driven to steer that
particular ship.

Happy new year everybody. I definitely owe a huge thanks to all the
developers who have worked to improve FreeBSD, my professional tool of
choice for over a decade now.

Andy

---
Andy Dills