Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 08:12:30 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Jason Nordwick <nordwick@xcf.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A few ports/pkg_* questions.

--==_Exmh_1430526958P

If memory serves me right, Studded wrote:
> Jason Nordwick wrote:

> > 3) Has anybody ever thought of installing a port in is own directory and
> > then linking them into the proper place?
>
> 	I don't know what this means.

This might refer to something like GNU stow?  It basically allows you to
install a piece of software "in its own directory" (with its own bin/, lib/,
and whatever)...it makes symlinks from files in /usr/local/{bin,lib,whatever}
into files in the port's directory.  Various command line flags let you
verify, delete, and update the links.

I've been using stow to manage a /usr/local-type filesystem on a Solaris box,
and it's pretty nice.

Best features of stow:

1.  It allows you to keep multiple versions of a package around and quickly
(by switching links) change from one version to another.

2.  It's pretty intelligent about how it manages directories and links within
directories.

3.  You can instantly tell what package a link belongs to, since it's implicit
in the link target.

4.  It's very portable...just a Perl5 script.  It can be used without
modification on many different platforms.

Its main weakness (compared to pkg_add, et al) is that *all* it can do is
manage links within a directory tree.  It's missing functionality such as
keeping track of dependency information, etc.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1430526958P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNhuE3qjOOi0j7CY9AQGdowQAlUsLgG+6xg1HJZJPDJspPRgE4dBC+1u1
VGo7w5MSaXKjxDMQq65Xqhu6ElBnC2XhBKuJrvCNQsGMPlj7Mcaa7xo1H3ytLqPq
8YJQCJFNK4c4O8l0E3uxd0Fpj5Ib0PucxBHrOYikOGtci/P6g9Fcvt+LHa10Lx5X
iFLyf8WjFhc=
=Wsjx
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1430526958P--