Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 2008 11:57:52 +0300
From:      Anton - Valqk <lists@lozenetz.org>
To:        "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_add feature proposal

Uh-oh,
totally forgot about this post :(
It'd be great to see that implemented, and it's nice to see that other
ppl are seeing point in having this option.
The bad thing is that I'm not that familiar with pkg_* and ports
internals and would be very time consuming for me to implement it... of
course it'd be great to see the internals of these two but unfortunately
at the very moment really no time to do this.
About getting out of disk space - well, the packages are not stream and
are with known size. Meaning disk space calcs can be made to warn you
about this, and if you install *big* packages 100 and more in a list you
*definitely* don't want to get stuck in the middle of installing them
(and not having a way to 'rollback')....
This could be an option (enabled by default tough)...

Another nice idea that came to me is to have a util (ot automated check
after pkg_add -r and installing is finished) to see if _all_ the files
from the package are installed in proper place and match md5sums in
+CONTENTS - I often get packages (from my custom build server) that for
some reason don't install _all_ files from +CONTENTS and I see this when
I try to access a file or delete the package (typical example: pkg_add
-r apache22 and I have no /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 script?!?!)

cheers,
valqk.

Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Anton - Valqk <lists@lozenetz.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've just got an Idea (maybe others had it too?).
>>
>> When doing pkg_add [-r] wouldn't it be better if pkg_add checks if _all_
>> dependent packages exists and checksums are ok (after downloaded if with
>> -r), etc. checks _before_ installing the packages, because if you get
>> 3-4 packages broken/missing when one package depends on 30-40 (X apps
>> etc.) you should delete all already installed...
>>
>> I've got this problem when did pkg_add -r mod_musicindex and for some
>> reason mod_musicindex didn't build the flac and libogg when
>> $> make package-recursive
>> specified.
>> When the pkg_add get to these packages and they were not found on the
>> web server, I've had to delete all installed packages by hand... uhh...
>>
>> so, what would you say about that?
>>

> Be warned that large packages and/or packages that depend on large
> packages may lead to a full /var/tmp if that filesystem is not large
> enough. OpenOffice, JDK and teTeX are good examples. I had this
> problem on Ubuntu some time ago.

believed to be clean.