Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:08:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        brian@shift.lan.awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk, brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, brian@utell.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backspace = ^H

> > > (I'd prefer BS=^?, DEL=^h)
> >
> > BS = BACKSPACE = 0x08
> > DEL = DELETE = 0x7f
> >
> > Why on earth should they be reversed contradicting their names ??
>
> So that emacs' help system can work.  Why would reversing them
> contradict their names ?
>
> BS = BACKSPACE = 0x7f
> DEL = DELETE = 0x08

Type "man ascii" to find out.  8-).  ASCII -*DEFINES*- the codes for
these names.  EMACS doesn't get to -*REDEFINE*- them until they have
successfully lobbied the standards committee for a change to the symbol
coding standard.  So there.  When they get past that hurdle, it'd be
nice if they sent me updated for my Hazeltine and Televideo and Heath
terminals hardware so that they can remainstandards compliant.

Why not change the EMACS help system so it doesn't expect to be run
on VT100's, which have not been manufactured for many, many years?
All of the terminals manufactured by the vendor for about 15 years
now have "Help" function keys (the vendor in question is Digital).

Why doesn't the EMACS help system use ^X^H or some other mneumonic
as useful as the ones EMACS has for "quit" and "save" and so on?

8-p. <- me, sticking my tongue out at EMACS

> And then it stty's it to 0x08 in roots .profile.....  If people really
> insist on BS=0x08 and DEL=0x7f, then so be it, but the default erase
> should be changed to 0x08 too (and the stty removed from roots .profile).

I agree with this one, 100%.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org