Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:22:19 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, clefevre@noos.fr, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for bsd.lib.mk to create include and lib dirs

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 10:35:04AM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Peter Pentchev wrote:
> >
> > As I stated in my original post though, this patch is meant for outside
> > software packages which might still like to use bsd.lib.mk, install
> > their stuff in /usr/local or such, and have the install fail because
> > no one has created /usr/local/include/outsidepkg/.
>
> I somehow think our *.mk files are unsuitable for a wide audience. They
> seem to be made very specificly targeted for the FreeBSD source tree.
> Making the change is a signal that we promote/support the use of these
> files outside the source tree and I don't think we can deliver. This
> normally ends up in endless hackery until someone does a rewrite.

Hmm..  What I have in mind is primarily an in-house application, which
used to use a gmake Makefile with my own clean, depend, etc targets.
Then I found out FreeBSD has very well thought-out makefiles.

I'm toying with the idea of making a Makefile.bsd for some apps I want
to release as ports; but come to think of it, yes, using bsd.*.mk is
quite dangerous.  And for the in-house app I'm working on - well -
I have already made quite a few local source tree patches, adding another
one will not be too much of a problem.

> > And once again, yes, I know this can be done by overriding the
> > beforeinstall target, but this requires knowledge of the inner workings
> > of bsd.lib.mk - namely, explicitly invoking ${MAKE} _includeinstall.
> > I suspect _includeinstall has that underscore for a reason ;)
>
> Hmmm, yes. I see what you mean. beforeinstall should have been an
> (empty) leaf dependency for it to be easily overridable.
>
> If we ever want to rewrite the *.mk files, these hacks will very likely
> go away and break their use outside the source tree. Other than this, if
> noone objects or has any good alternatives, don't let me stop you from
> making the change.

Well, you almost talked me out of it :)  Still, if there's a src committer
who thinks this is not all that bad an idea, they might as well go ahead
and do it :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence would be seven words long if it were six words shorter.