Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        val@picturetrail.com, mike.wentz@3ware.com
Subject:   3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage

 OK.. I tried.. I really liked the 3ware stuff. At first all of our troubles
seemed to be directly traceable to my usage of IBM DTLA drives. But now after
replacing abt 16 IBM drives..  I am still dealing with the 3ware card dropping
out drives like rain.

 Tonight our main database server is dead again Jim. It used a 3ware 7800 8
port raid card with 7 Maxtor drives. It was in RAID10 configuration with 3
drives! (yes 3 drives) as hot spares. In less than a week, all but 2 of the
drives have ostensibly failed!!! Our database completely wiped out AGAIN! (thank
goodness for a recent backup) and of course our system down while I am
finishing what was to be a hot standby server (using SCSI drives) to now become
our temporary Main Database server.

 Last night durring a massive rdist of data (on a private network) a new server
in RAID 5 with 8 Maxtor drives (1 as hot spare) DIED! It was getting 4 rdists at
once across a GB link from 2 Standard Maxtor drives (no raid) when it died. How
dead is it.. Well its So dead it will no longer boot. I have not had a chance
to go to the datacenter yet, but on the screen it says.. "No Operating system
Found, please insert boot disk" Thats pretty damn dead. Thats pretty crapola
for it to completly die like that!

 I have had it. There are no driver issues here, there is no FreeBSD issue
here, its all 3ware and can IDE drives really take abuse at all like that in a
database server or even a very busy picture server.

 The answer is NO!!!

( And YES I had all new FreeBSD OS and the latest Firmware on the card)

  Nicole

PS: I would like to thank Michael Wentz and Tom Tran for putting in some extra t
ime to help us recover our data the last time this happend (less than 1 week
ago)

   *    Nicole Harrington | AKA Hodge Podge          *
  nicole@unixgirl.com           http://www.unixgirl.com/
  webmistress@dangermouse.org   http://www.dangermouse.org/
  nicole@deviantimages.com      http://www.deviantimages.com/