Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 10:23:15 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Ken Deboy <Plocked@greatbasin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rebuilding the kernal

Ken Deboy wrote:

> Hello,
>  I just installed FreeBSD, and I need to rebuild the kernal in order to get the system to
> recognize my PS/2-style mouse. Unfortunately, when I follow the instructions in the manual
> it 'makes' for quite awhile then quits with:

> machdep.o: Undefined symbol '_netisr_set' referenced from text segment
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop
> #
>
> Another problem I have is that mtools isn't working correctly, so I can't attach a copy of
> MYKERNAL (configuration file) with this, but it is an exact copy of the GENERIC file sup-
> plied with the system with everything I don't have commented out. Also, I made sure that
> the lines:
>
> device     psm0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
> options    PSM_CHECKSYNC
>
> were in the file. Any suggestions? Is there anything else I need to do to get it to see my
> mouse? By the way, I like FreeBSD (even though I can't get it working on my system, I tried
> it in school), but in 'The Complete FreeBSD' the statement is made "It is probably easier to
> install FreeBSD than any other PC operating system..." Given that it requires recompiling
> the kernel just to get it to recognize a fairly common type of mouse, I don't agree with
> that statement.

You can enable the mouse at boot time by using "-c", but your kernel
building problem is probably due to commenting out too many
options/devices (or too few). If you can't send us the kernel config,
make *minimal* adjustments to GENERIC and proceed with caution. Many of
the options are interdependent (and most are documented in LINT) and you
may have created an inconsistent config.

>  Oh one more thing - can you recommend a currently (and commonly) available video card that
> works with XF86? I had to put BSD on my old 486 because the card in my new computer isn't
> supported. Anyway, thanks for your help.
>
> BTW, my system is a 486, 2 IDE (no EIDE), 2 floppies, Matsushita CD (works fine), nothing
> else.
>
> With best wishes,
> Ken Deboy
> Plocked@Greatbasin.com