Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:45:34 -0600
From:      "Joe" <joe@thebestisp.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unlimited e-mail addresses per user, Dynamic IP -> Static DNS

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To: Lists <lists@mrvid.demon.co.uk>; freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
<freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Tuesday, February 03, 1998 1:15 PM

At 13:23 02/02/98 +0000, Lists wrote:
>I.
>If I have a domain (e.g. splash.nu) and have users dialling up, and
>getting a static IP which resolves to their domain name (e.g.
>kronus.splash.nu) is it possible for me to have it so that each user can
>have unlimited e-mail addresses per domain name...

This is exactly what we do (as customers rather than suppliers). The most
efficient way is to do this with uucp rather than SMTP, POP or IMAP. Two
reasons:

1) The uucp connection is only open as long as there's anything to do. This
drastically reduces connect time. It can be set to poll however frequently
they wish. (We poll 8 times a day & have average connects of 2 mins daily
for around 1200 mail items per week)

2) Store & forward of mail is an interchange between a push protocol (smtp)
and a pull protocol (usually pop or imap). Pop & Imap are geared to
individual mailboxes. UUCP will pull in all the messages and pass them to
rmail on the client side which can then farm them out (via sendmail in our
case) to whatever mailboxes they want to set up. You don't have to know.

You need to establish an MX to client.domain.nu or whatever, then set the
sendmail mailertab to pass all mail for this domain to clientdomain.UUCP.
Set up a uucp account for them, then you're done. Your clients can then use
a unix box or even M$ Exchange/CC:mail (if they're weird enough) to collect
it.

We've had this system for 3 years now, and it works a treat.

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/

well that would be fine if your customers wanted to hold there own mail
spools and all the end recipients were on the customers end but what if it
is a company like one we host where the corp office is here and they have
reps all over the country? what we have done is set up sendmail to put all
messages for a specific domain into a directory set up for that domain and
modified qpop to check what IP a connection is comming in over then user an
alternate password file to look up the users for that domain. This I believe
is the best way to go.