Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 23:21:56 -0400
From:      "David S. Jackson" <dsj@sylvester.dsj.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   java chat servers

Hi,

I've recently been frustrated trying to chat on certain servers
that appear to insist using a java/web-based irc client as
opposed to a normal irc client that uses port 6667 or whatever.

Example:  yahoo insists on using a java irc applet,  techtv
insists on using a java irc applet.  I'm sure there are others.
Using Java on Netscape is a real PITA because it's so flakey and
unstable, still.  Plus I just don't like it for security reasons.

Do any of you use these chat areas?  Have you found a suitable
alternative, or do you just put up with the Java clients?

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net