Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:37:30 -0500
From:      David Jackson <djackson452@gmail.com>
To:        Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Kernel Internals Documentation
References:  <4EFF19A7.2060800@ose.nl> <CAGy-%2Bi_SatydS_=a_pOVN6uwBfN2rU7kYWy78Ug=Nq=j3WrrAA@mail.gmail.com> <CAGy-%2Bi_QW78ezYv22YGUg3UCNa4xWdAnKfPMkQxGBfmmiDjK0g@mail.gmail.com> <4EFF94CA.3050304@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <20120101064247.3e8b0b56@scorpio> <4F00580D.1060208@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <20120101091420.117aa8f3@scorpio> <20120102065526.GA16481@hemlock.hydra> <20120102083114.6c09d839@scorpio> <20120102193319.GA31717@hemlock.hydra> <20120103020611.GA22209@chancha.local> <4F02A306.5060501@herveybayaustralia.com.au> <CAHieY7SvA-s%2BKh9TL5gjSU6Xb90Q8MkXg8P10Ymf0qFqn0sYTg@mail.gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Da Rock
> <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> I would just like to add that is FreeBSD was so crappy open sour
> software, why does it run half the Internet?
>

> http://freebsdfoundation.blogspot.com/2011/12/apache-software-foundation-testimonial.html
>
> --
> Alejandro Imass

I Never said that FreeBSD was not a good OS to use on a server, if you just
want to install it and use it, its a really great OS on a server.

My concerns, and this is entirely sincere and a result of my own attempts
to read the source, that rarely, if ever, have I ever seen C code that is
self documenting and where additional textual descriptions would not speed
up learning of the source code to be able to work on the source code of the
kernel. There is very little documentation of kernel internals and the
source code comments are, really quite honest, do not really do a good job
of explaining things.An example of somewhat better source code commenting
can be seen in Minix.

this makes it really hard, and it takes much longer than it should to
become acquinted with the kernel and it is just an unproductive and bad
coding style to not document source code, not necessarily in the file but
it can be in a wiki of some sort. Document your stuff is really important
and a well known good coding practice,

Ubuntu got some things right but has gone awry on one  thing the HORRIBLE
Unity UI which most everyone i talk to hates it. The good thing about
Ubuntu is with apt-get installing and maintaining up to date packages is
easy and things usually come in an working out of the box state. If you
dont like how Ubuntu is configured it is a real Unix system and one can get
into the configuration files and change anything that one needs to.

I used to use FreeBSD a lot but since Linux tends to support more hardware
and plays better with Virtualbox I have had to use that more.

I actually was considering starting my own project to develop some sort of
driver compatability layer that would allow Darwin and or Linux drivers to
be loaded on FreeBSD, and provide a stable binary ABI, in a kernel module.
This is one reason I have started to look at the FreeBSD source code and
noticed how difficult it really is to understand anything due to lack of
documents.