Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:30:25 -0700
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: D-Link device ste tx underrun

> From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 02:16:21PM -0800, Lucky Green wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I just installed a new D-Link DFE-550TX NIC on my machine running
>> FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p2. I am seeing the following errors in the log
>> file:
>>
>> Mar 23 15:01:05 pakastelohi /kernel: ste0: transmission error: 90
>> Mar 23 15:01:05 pakastelohi /kernel: ste0: tx underrun, increasing tx
>> start threshold to 60 bytes
>> Mar 23 18:40:17 pakastelohi /kernel: ste0: transmission error: 90
>> Mar 23 18:40:17 pakastelohi /kernel: ste0: tx underrun, increasing tx
>> start threshold to 120 bytes
>>
>> A Google search showed that at least one other person has reported what
>> looks like the same problem, but I have been unable to locate a cause or
>> fix. Suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Why do you think this is a problem vs. just a diagnostic?
> This not unusual.  This really should be in the FAQ.

Let's see... it's a release OS and it's spewing cryptic and somewhat
dire-looking messages with the word "error" in them.  Why would someone
think this is a problem?   Hmmmm....

IMO, if it's a release OS and it's an expected condition and there are no
knobs that could or should be twiddled to change the situation, then
messages containing the word "error" should not be spewed to the logs and
console.  Or the people who maintain the software that do the spewing should
not adopt a condescending attitude when people ask what they should do to
fix it.

-- Ian