Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 01:00:25 +0000
From:      Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 5.1A Howto

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> All in all a pleasant HOWTO, but a bit outdated and needlessly complex
> :-)

The HOWTO is correct.  There seem to be a number of things that work
differently in -stable.

> I always installed SO without all this hassle. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> always was enough:
>
> csh:    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH  .
> sh:     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

This worked for me on a -current system but not -stable.  When I was
installing SO5.1 on a -stable system, the setup program did not extract
some of the libraries and therefore couldn't find them, even though
LD_LIBRARY_PATH was set.  Very strange.  I had to extract the missing
libraries just like described in the HOWTO.  Reproduced on two -stable
boxes.

> >    Modifications to the soffice Script
> >
> >    First, change the line that defines "$test" from
> >
> >        *)      test=/usr/bin/test ;;

> >        *)      test=/bin/test ;;
>
> This is not needed for linux_base-5.2

Why not?  The StarOffice script begins with the line:

#!/bin/sh

and therefore it will look for `test' in its real location and not
/compat/linux.

Alex