Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:01:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: POSIX Conformance (Unanswered in "questions" so I forwarded...)

Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> writes:
 % Note that having access to the NIST/PCTS is not the same as being
 % certified.  Certification still requires an authorized testing laboratory
 % to run the test, and it only applies to a particular release level: the

Paul Richards writes:
 > What happens when you apply patches to a certified OS? Is the
 > certification then void? Do Sun get each patchlevel certified because
 > we run with loads of patches on our systems, does that make them
 > non-certified :-)

Sure does.  Unless, of course, Sun has gotten their system certified
with the *exact* set of patches you have applied.  Not that Posix
certifaction is anything more than a marketing bullet anyhow.

Nobody really cares that a system is *really* Posix-compliant, it is
simply something that gets written into contracts specified by the US
gov't.  They require vendors to use Posix-compliant systems, but they
*don't* require them to write their software using the Posix APIs, so
they're still not portable.  In many cases, the Posix interfaces
represent a small enough subset of the system functionality that you
*cannot* develop any given application using only Posix calls and get
any real performance out of it.