Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:53:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does IPX routing work? ... Of course. :-)

> > You will need to similarly hack the IPX for FreeBSD if you wish to
> > support what Novell calls 802.3 -- there is no encapsulation header,
> > and this is the implementation error.
>
> I thought it was just implemented before IEEE fully defined it.

The draft existed, but just like NDS and X.500, Novell implemented it
with their own personal "style" in spite of the standard tat was likely,
choosing the standard they preferred instead.

Like I said before, the protocol number *happens* to be in the illegal
length range, so it *happens* to work.  Novell could not reasonably
expect *all* protocol numbers *ever* assigned to be in in the illegal
length range -- there are several protocols to the contrary already;
it was definitely a screw-up on their part, standard in draft form or no.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---