Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 20:39:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build machines (Re: Who built XFree86 with Kerberos?)

> I don't think we have time for that.  The release of 2.2.8 is due at
> the end of this month.  Also, NFS means a huge slowdown of individual
> builds.  It's ok for things like distfiles and packages, but not for
> the interim work directories or chroot /usr/local.

That's not an expected use of NFS anyway.  What I was expecting was
that people would do the chroot areas and builds on their "staging"
disks (local >4GB areas) and then push the finish products over NFS to
the package collections.  We can't afford to put big mongo disk arrays
on every build machine and, on the purely physical level, we only have
one drive array cabinet.

> of space on paddock right now and I'm spending a lot of time I can't
> afford to waste.  How about you add one more 9GB drive to paddock and
> the rest to bento?

I think that's a workable compromise for now - can you do that Mike?
We'll still have a new 9GB drive for the array, the extra one will
simply have to go to paddock for now.  Once 2.2.8 kills the 2.2.8
branch, we'll probably want to review paddock's intended usage anyway.

- Jordan