Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:03:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New CODA release

> >Coda is now GPL'd, that gives a good-bye to seeing this code integrated
> >by any commercial UNIX :-(.
>
> Yes, because that damn GPL has certainly prevented gcc from being the single
> most popular compiler ever available for unix systems.
>
> And that damn GPL has certainly prevented emacs from being distributed by
> commercial UNIX vendors.
>
> And, gosh, that damn GPL has certainly prevented Samba from being of ANY use
> to ANYONE, it's a good thing the FreeBSD Project won't touch it.

And look at all that kernel code we've incorporated from Linux, saving
us from having to reimplement all sorts of drivers.

Oh, wait.  That didn't happen.

GPL is a barrier to commercial adoption for kernel components.  The
best you can hope for is a loadable module for those systems that
support loadable modules, and independent installation (i.e.: it
will never bee the boot FS for a commercial kernel, unless it is
reimplemented/released under another license and/or as proprietary
code from the OS vendor).

> Whiner.  You don't like it, go write your own.

Good advice, even if the sentiment it came with is a bit caustic.  8-).

I'd suggest taking the previous release as a starting point.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.