Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 03:35:45 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Paul Apple <paula@jeffnet.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 ==> 3.1 buildworld stopping at bootstrap libraries

Paul Apple wrote:

> make -j4 NOSHARED=yes buildworld

The correct target for 2.x to 3.1 upgrade is "upgrade", not world,
or aout-to-elf, or anything else.

It will take care of everything but ports/packages and /etc. You
*need* to upgrade /etc. Everybody recommends mergemaster. Is in the
ports. Make it before doing the upgrade. :-) Also, I don't know if
it is static linked or not. Probably not. It would be a good idea,
though.

Also, you may trip on a number of issues. /etc/rc.conf no longer is
the template it used to be. Now we have a /etc/defaults/rc.conf,
containing the default settings, which then loads /etc/rc.conf. You
must *not* copy /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf, otherwise it
will enter infinite recursion.

The a.out libraries apparently won't work until you reboot. So,
between make upgrade and reboot you will not be able to run any
ports/packages. Or so it seems. I never actually made this upgrade
just to confirm this.

Last, -O2 does not work. Period. If you have it in your
/etc/make.conf, take it out.

These seems to be the main show-stoppers.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	Well, as a computer geek, I have to believe in the binary universe.