Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:53:38 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From:      K Sun <ksun@essex.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Really need help.

Hi, all,
      I want to install FreeBSD 3.0 for my research. From  the
introduction, it should support my network card, AMD PCnet/PCI Ethernet
Adapter. However, when I boot my PC with  the boot floppy and enter the
menu for hardware configuartion, I could not find an very appropriate
item for my network card. Perhaps, I can choose the item, Isolan ..NE32
VL. The device is lnc0. After that, when the program run "Probing..",
it can find in PCI 0 there is the card, but the device number is
"lnc1". I do not know whether my network card has been run. After that,
when I enter the menu "media", I try to use "FTP" to install the
FreeBSD 3.0. However, I can find the option about Ethernet Installation
in the submenu, except lp0, com1, com2...
        I do not know whether my network card has been run. If not, how
can I make the configuration so that I can install FreeBSD 3.0 from
Internet.
        Another Problem is, after I fail to install it from Internet, I
try to install it from DOS Partition. I download all the files of the
directory "BIN" and save them in "C:\3.0-RELEASE\BIN". When I want to
proceed the minimal installation from DOS Partition, there is a fault
about "...... VTY4, panic: vm_..." .  I installed Windows98 in my DOS
Partition, but the file system is "FAT 16".
         I really hope to successfully install it earlier, so really
hope some implication about my above two problems.

        Sun Kai